Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Big As Night

I had my first real gallery show Saturday in Dallas' Historic Oak Cliff arts district. This is something I've been wanting to do for about 10 years, but didn't think my stuff would be worth the trouble. I'm a commercial artist at heart and the "fine" art scene doesn't appeal to me.

("Rockin'" photos by Penny. She told me to say "rockin'")

Well, out of the 4 pieces I put up at Steve Cruz's "Big As Night" art event, 3 sold. I'm pretty flabergasted, actually. The 3 that sold were, "Goodwill Ghoul" (which got a momentary buying fever started), "Man Discovers Fire", and the new one I did for the show, "Polaroid of X-Ray Spider". They were priced to move, and they sold. Having a one night show puts the heat on undecided buyers, apperantly.
Everybody told me the same thing about the work...it made them happy...or, out right laugh. I try to tell a story in the image, but it is usually humorous and fun. I paint things I want to see and how I want to see them and I guess people like that.
Penny and I met some nice people who also had work at the show..."The Brians" were a couple in the next room(s) to me.
Here's Brian....(check out the shirt)

..and here's the other Brian...

...they had a huge body of work...


Steve had an opening that night as well at his Mighty Fine Arts Gallery up the walk way from this showing, but still came and worked the rooms with us.


There was art everywhere...upstairs..

...downstairs..

...in the windows...

Penny and Eric came by and brought me a sandwich. I'd been drinking Pabst the entire time I was setting up and was getting goofy. Check the colors in the room. This was why I picked this particular room.


All kinds of buddies showed up...

Greg and Heather Gorham and Dave Clowers....Artists in their own right. I went to high school commercial art classes with Greg, Dave, and Eric. (I've just noticed that Greg and I look like we're related...so that's distrubing.)


My buddies Mike and Kim came by as well. Kim introduced me to Steve Cruz a while back and I appreciate it greatly. They brought Yvonne as well, who suprised me by actually being the first to buy something. I seem confused by the idea...y'see.

At some point, Kim, Yvonne, and Penny noticed they were wearing the exact same style of shoe.


My buddy Ralph came by with his gilrfriend Carol (who's also an artist). Ralph helped me with the disposal of the Pabst.


I had a great time...was proven that I was wrong about my art, people DO want it...and made some new friends..."the Brians" Dan, Patrick, Anna, and Ken Craft.

I'll let you know when I have my first one man show.

3 Comments:

Blogger dav said...

Ah yes, twas a good time, congrats also.

I snapped a few shots too that I'll post on chuck central.com, dunno if they're rockin' like penny's tho'.

4:29 PM  
Blogger Major Tool said...

One sure sign you're NOT related to Greg...
the joint doesn't smell like sulpher when you enter a room!

8:29 AM  
Blogger Riley said...

"I'm glad this went well!"...and I had business cards on display. How 'bout that?
Aaron has supervision...he uses it to look through people's clothes.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Dell Coupon
Free Hit Counters