Friday, August 04, 2006

Ultraman DVD Heaven


Oh man...finally after all these years....The first season, box one, of Ultraman!! I've waited for good copies of these episodes for many years. I bought it off'a Deep Discount DVD for $21!!
I saw this show for the first time, not in 1968 when it aired in English across America's small market TV stations, but in 1981 when local channel 21 aired it after school.

It was sort of a secret indulgnace. I totally loved goofy monster suits, martial arts, spaceships, etc...and this show had all that. I watched the Godzilla movies to see the guys in the suits beat the crap out of each other and you had to wait about an hour for that, though. BUT...with Ultraman, you got some rubber suit throwdown pretty quick...15 minutes!
This box set has the options of the original Japanese language version with subtitles, or the English dubbed versions as we saw it. There's an interveiw (apparently at some convention) with some of the voice talent of the English versions...Corinne Orr, Peter Fernandez, and the late Earl Hammond. This is the same troup that voiced Speed Racer and other Japo-Imports. (Peggy Lobbin also voiced on Ultraman, but was not present during the interveiw.)
It's nice to see good, bright copies of the episodes after all this time. I've spent years squinting at 3rd generation VHS dubs made from 16 mm TV prints. Ironically, I got 20 episodes, in pristine quality, for the same price that I've paid for 4 episodes on VHS...and I didn't have to deal with an unbathed convention leech to get it.
I use to be quite the Ultraman collector, as matter of fact. Here is a pic to show the collection in it's prime. It's been sold off, piece by piece.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I can't wait for the next box set! I also picked up the rest of THE HYP*NOTIC EYEs from Shocking Video. Wonderful stuff. You should be proud of your show.

Question: What's the name of the opening theme song? And who did the remix of the theme song for the final episode?

-danno!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Riley said...

The opening theme was the theme to Ultra Q...the series that was made right before Ultraman. I can't remember who did that remix. I got it off of a Japo-import.

11:31 AM  
Blogger F.S. said...

One fun thing to do with these DVDs: play the English audio, but also play the English subtitles. I think the subtitles are based on the Japanese script; anyway, they're often very different from the dialog in the English soundtrack. For one thing, there's a lot more light swearing and insults being tossed around (examples: "Damn it!" being shouted by Hoshino, or Ito being told "You idiot!").

Disappointed to report that the production values on the interviews with Peter Fernandez, Corrine Orr, and Earl Hammond are terrible. Not just bad, but downright awful.

Still, the DVDs are great fun to have. Shuwatch!

3:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Dell Coupon
Free Hit Counters