Monday, June 19, 2006

HUGO!

I came across a 1976 copy of the Archie comic "PEP" today, and bought it solely for the inside cover ad...

Hugo..Man of a Thousand Faces!
I wanted one of these so bad, back in '75. Dad didn't get the whole puppet fascination, but mom did...she did puppets at church and such. I never did get one, but they did get me "Ernie" when Sesame Street started merchandising their Henson puppets.
Until I find a HUGO, I'll have to play the virtual HUGO over at the SECRET FUN SPOT. Download and have "disguise fun"!

4 Comments:

Blogger COOP said...

HUGO!! A few years ago, my pal Mel & I were at the Rose Bowl swap meet, where we found not one, but two Hugo puppets! We bought 'em, and the rest of the day we forced the swap meet vendors to "talk to the hand", as it were.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Kirk D. said...

Unbelievable! I've never seen this before. Hugo AND monsters in a comic strip-style ad!! I was once outbid on a different Hugo ad, but this one is even cooler.

PEP comics, here I come!

Thanks for the link to the Virtual Hugo! I made that thing before I knew what I was doing, and looking at it now sure makes me want to create an improved version.

Anyway, thanks for introducing me to my new favorite advertisement.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Riley said...

Thanks guys..A friend emailed me those photosets a while back! They're awesome.
I hear the Rose Bowl Swap is bitch'in...two? Dang.
Kirk..I've never seen this ad before either. Came as a total surprise to me. All I remember was seeing him in the Sears Toybox Christmas catalog.
Maybe some day I'll find MY Hugo.

9:26 PM  
Blogger Erick said...

I had a Hugo when I was a kid. I got it by accident (so my mom said). My parents were Christmas shopping when someone left a Hugo on top of their car when they drove off. My mom picked it up and gave it to me for Christmas. Ahhh, memories...

Erick
Monsterama2000

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Dell Coupon
Free Hit Counters