Saturday, November 19, 2005

Deal's Wheels

A while back I showed some pics of a Rat Fink model I had done. I wrote that I'd show more of my kits, so here is one that I got out of storage and repaired a bit. This is from Revell's Deal's Wheels re-issue line from '96 called "Van". (another re-issue was Zzzzz-28 in '95) The originals were issued in 1970 and 1971, designed by Dave Deal and had titles like, Go-Mad Nomad, Stink Ray, Ferd Phoney Car, (a favorite, but hard to find), and Glitter Bug. There were 17 in all (18 if you count the Bug Bomb/Bug Out double issue), and all are awesome. At the time there were other Rat Fink/Odd Rod influenced designs on the market, like Zingers and such. More about those at BUBBLEGUM FINK.
I was obsessed with this stuff as a kid in the '70s, but the only one I ever put together (of the Dave Deal models) before this one, was the 80's re-issues of "Trans-Um Firebird" renamed "Funbird". This series was called Funsters.


And no I can't find my built up.











Here's my "Van" by Dave Deal. A perfect choice from the 70's line....a cool VW van . I made mine a two tone beach cruiser who's kickin' up some sand. Click the pics for a good look.




The driver didn't have an arm that hung out the window...I built that out of epoxy to match the box art.



One of the things that broke off was the antennae. It was similar to the one on the dune buggy, "Glitter Bug". So I replaced it with some kit bashing and a length of music wire for a sturdy, but flexible antennae. Since it was metal, super glue or traditional model glue wasn't going to hold it in place...so I used a tiny...tiny..bit of Gorilla Glue. Great stuff! I love those intakes on the sides!


Since he was "pullin' a wheelie", I bent the front axle a bit to show the weight and energy of the front tires.


In the front seat you kinda' can see an issue of CARtoons...


...and on the back glass is a Wacky Package sticker of "BustedFinger", one of my favorites.


The exhaust was molded in chrome, but I knew of a lot of enameled exhausts in the 70's and made this one white.You can see the tiny VW engine in the compartment. The tail lights were chrome already, but I added some 5 minute epoxy tinted red inside the trim.

I lost the other surfboard somewhere...but what would ONE dood do with two surfboards?
I finished the paint with chips and rust since this is an old cruiser and this guy lives close to the sea.

This particular design from the whole line, in my opinion, came out awesome and was real faithful to Dave's artwork. This shot looks very "Deal-ish"

7 Comments:

Blogger Phillip said...

Wow, that's awesome. I followed you over here from Bubblegum Fink, and I'l surely be back!

1:56 AM  
Blogger dav said...

Love the van, I think I saw it on display at a "Pistons and Paint" hot rod show.

5:51 AM  
Blogger Riley said...

Thanks guys! Yea Dave, this is the same one..with those slight modifications. This is the one that DIDN'T get stolen!
Phillip...I should be posting more model pics soon.
Thanks Garett for your kind words. I try to make this blog a reflection of me, and I'm not sure how it actually comes out.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Dave Deal said...

Riley,

The first time I looked at your Blog, I didn't scroll down far enough to see the pictures of the Van. You did me proud. It has the feeling I would have wanted, well No, the feeling I still want, for the VeeWee Van.

Good work!

Dave BIG Deal
http://www.bigdealart.com

2:59 PM  
Blogger Dave Deal said...

Joe Riley,

Drop me a line.

Dave Deal

davebigdeal@cox.net

7:19 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Joe, awesome Van rendition! I have a site you may be interested in that has lots of Deal's Wheels info:

http://treswright.vervehosting.com/

Interestingly we're close to the same age and live in the same area! Send me an email, I'd love to post your Van on my site.

3:54 PM  
Blogger HTBomb said...

That's one incredible build. No wonder Dave wants pics of it. What an honor!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Dell Coupon
Free Hit Counters