Saturday, February 18, 2006

Coop and I Are Like This

I noticed that Coop has linked me to his blog. Quite a distinction for me since I dig his work and have since 1990. He might not know it, but he and I have a mutual friend.
Coop has a particular fetish that a few of us have..he's addicted to Japanese toys.
I met my buddy Storm (our mutual friend/dealer) years ago when I started my Japanese toy fetish back in '89. I strictly bought Ultraman and was particularly into the vintage monsters. Storm had been dealing toys at conventions since the early 80's when I met him, and probably had collected them since the 1970s. It's an expensive hobby, like collecting works of art.
I met Coop, briefly, at a ComiCon show in San Diego in '98. Storm had his table there as usual, and I was helping watch it for him. The thing distinctive about the '98 show was that Storm dug stuff out of his personal stash to sell. Something he didn't really do....he would buy stuff just for resale. BUT this time, he had the "dope" from his personal collection, and it was a sight to see. I remember noting that the SUV we drove to San Diego in was packed full with boxes to sell...and when we headed back...after he made over $10,000 in sales...the SUV was still full!!
Here's Storm with his table...
...better shot of stuff in the glass case...
...Storm in the hotel displaying a weekend's pay...$10,000 in cash and checks...


We had a blast that weekend. I remember Storm ordering both a steak and lobster at a restaurant, after we closed shop on Sunday. The guy taking the order couldn't believe it.
It drove Storm crazy 'cause he was buyin', and all I'd get were Caesar salads.

3 Comments:

Blogger Bubblegumfink said...

Not only was I unaware that you were into Japanese toys (I'm addicted), but I also have a very good friend named Storm. Kooky.

2:40 PM  
Blogger Riley said...

Can't be the same Storm? Weird.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Bubblegumfink said...

No, not the same Storm.

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Dell Coupon
Free Hit Counters